Panama City Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
100+ Years of Combined Experience
It is a commonly held belief that the pedestrian is never at fault when an accident with a vehicle occurs. However, in Florida, the pedestrian can be found partially or completely at fault if they are shown not to have exercised proper caution. Insurance companies may try to take advantage of this to reduce pedestrian car accident settlements. This is why Florida pedestrians who were hit by a car need representation to maximize the compensation they can recover.
If you are a pedestrian who was injured by a vehicle and feel you are a victim of negligent driving, our Panama City pedestrian accident lawyers are prepared to walk you through the process of securing compensation.
You are already suffering from your injuries; you should not have to shoulder the burden of proving the at-fault driver's liability as well.
FL Pedestrian Accident Laws
Some of the most important Florida pedestrian accident laws that govern pedestrian safety and the rights of pedestrians involved in accidents include:
- Right-of-Way: Florida law requires motorists to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians crossing the street at marked crosswalks and intersections. Pedestrians have the right to cross safely within these designated areas.
- Use of Sidewalks: Pedestrians are generally required to use sidewalks if available. If there are no sidewalks, pedestrians should walk on the shoulder facing oncoming traffic.
- Crosswalks: Pedestrians have the right-of-way at marked and unmarked crosswalks. Drivers must stop and allow pedestrians to cross when they are in a crosswalk or approaching it.
- Traffic Signals: Pedestrians must follow traffic signals and pedestrian crossing signals at intersections.
- Accident Reporting: If a pedestrian is involved in an accident that results in injury, death, or property damage, the driver is required to stop and report the accident to the appropriate authorities.
Understanding these laws can help pedestrians protect their rights and safety while walking on Florida roadways. If a pedestrian is involved in an accident, it is crucial to seek medical attention immediately and consult with a pedestrian injury attorney today to learn about your rights and options.
What Are Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Claims?
The first step your Panama City pedestrian accident attorney will help you with is filing your Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance claims. The statute of limitations for personal injury claims is short in Florida, so it is essential to start the process promptly after the incident occurs.
If you want to seek additional damages, your Panama City pedestrian accident lawyer can help collect evidence to build your case. Statements from witnesses, the driving history of the at-fault driver, footage from traffic cameras, and any other evidence relevant to the substantiation of your claim will be gathered to strengthen your case.
How Do You Prove Negligence in a Pedestrian Accident?
In order to attain additional compensation on top of the PIP claim, the negligence of the driver involved must be proved. The assumption is that the driver owed the pedestrian a certain level of care.
Your attorney must prove that he or she did not meet this obligation and, as a direct result, caused a serious injury to the pedestrian. Whether the driver was driving recklessly, simply not paying attention, or flagrantly disregarding traffic laws, we can build a solid case against him or her.
What Is Comparative Negligence?
However, it is not as simple as proving the driver was at fault. Florida is a comparative negligence state, meaning that both parties involved in the accident can be found partially at fault and be held responsible for a portion of the damage. In this type of case, defendants often try to prove the pedestrian was equally or partially at fault for the accident.
When Is a Pedestrian Liable for the Accident?
Pedestrians can be found responsible for some or all of the accident if they:
- Failed to pay attention to their surroundings
- Darted out in front of the car
- Jaywalked instead of using crosswalk
- Disregarded pedestrian signals at intersection
- Declined to check if the street was safe to cross
What Are Common Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
In accidents between a pedestrian and a car, the sheer weight, force, and velocity of the vehicle often mean that the pedestrian is more likely to suffer severe injuries. Even if they are not hit directly, pedestrians can be thrown several feet in the air from the impact or thrown to the ground with considerable force. Common injuries suffered by pedestrians include:
- Broken bones
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Lacerations and bruises
- Dental damage
- Psychological trauma
- Loss of limbs
In some cases, victims may even face paralysis or death as a result of their injuries. Additionally, victims often experience financial losses due to medical bills and lost wages when they miss work as a result of their accident. This is what makes having a pedestrian accident lawyer so critical, especially for people who were injured in Panama City Beach.
How Can a Panama City Beach Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Help?
Attorneys experienced in pedestrian accident cases can provide invaluable assistance to victims. From gathering evidence to filing claims, an attorney can help a victim navigate the complex legal system and ensure they receive the full compensation they are entitled by law. An attorney can also provide advice on how to build a case that stands up against insurance companies’ attempts to reduce a settlement. Furthermore, an attorney will be aware of any time limitations or changes in state laws that the victim should be aware of in their particular situation.
An attorney provides a range of comprehensive services to their clients in pedestrian accident cases. These services include:
- Evidence Gathering: Attorneys diligently collect essential evidence such as witness statements, traffic camera footage, and any other relevant documentation to construct a strong case on behalf of the victim.
- Efficient PIP Claims: Attorneys handle the process of filing personal injury protection (PIP) claims promptly and efficiently, ensuring the victim receives the necessary compensation for medical expenses and other eligible damages.
- Establishing Liability: Attorneys work to establish the liability of the driver at fault by thoroughly investigating the circumstances surrounding the accident and gathering evidence to support the victim's claim.
- Damage Calculation: Attorneys assess the full extent of the victim's damages, including lost wages, medical bills, psychological trauma, physical injuries (such as broken bones, brain injuries, lacerations, dental damage, or internal organ damage), as well as severe injuries like spinal cord injuries or loss of limbs caused by the accident.
- Court Representation: If the case proceeds to court, attorneys provide skilled representation, presenting the victim's case, cross-examining witnesses, and advocating for the victim's rights and interests.
- Negotiations with Insurance Companies: Attorneys handle all negotiations with insurance companies on behalf of the victim, aiming to maximize the settlement or award amount. They skillfully navigate through any attempts made by insurance companies to reduce the compensation owed to the victim.
- Comparative Negligence Issues: Attorneys identify any comparative negligence issues and strategically work around them to strengthen the victim's legal arguments, increasing the chances of a favorable outcome.
- Statutes of Limitations and Legal Changes: Attorneys offer guidance to the victim regarding relevant statutes of limitations and any legal changes that may impact their case. This ensures that the victim takes appropriate action within the required timeframe and remains informed about any legal developments.
- Responding to Insurance Company Tactics: Attorneys provide advice on how to respond to tactics employed by insurance companies to reduce the settlement amount. They protect the victim's rights and interests, ensuring they are not taken advantage of during the claims process.
- Advocacy and Support: Throughout the entire process, attorneys advocate for the victim's rights and provide unwavering support. They prioritize the victim's well-being, keeping them informed, addressing their concerns, and guiding them through every stage of the claim with care and expertise.
When it comes to pedestrian accident lawsuits, having experienced attorneys by your side can prove to be invaluable. Our skilled team of attorneys is well-versed in handling cases where pedestrians have been hit by cars in Florida. We provide comprehensive assistance, guiding victims through the intricate legal system to ensure they receive the full compensation they are entitled to under the law.
At Syfrett, Dykes & Furr, our Panama City pedestrian accident lawyers have over 100 years of combined experience in personal injury law. We understand the different legal complexities that can arise when a pedestrian is injured in an accident, and we are committed to helping our clients secure the compensation they deserve.
What Syfrett, Dykes & Furr Can Do for You
We know that if you were injured in a pedestrian accident, you have already experienced a great deal of pain. Our team at Syfrett, Dykes & Furr wants to ensure you receive the compensation for the medical expenses, lost wages, and physical pain you have endured.
Whether you need a Panama City pedestrian accident attorney to negotiate a settlement with the driver’s insurance company or a lawyer to fight for you in court, we are here to help carry the burden and restore your wellbeing.