Panama City Car Accident Attorneys
Put 100+ Years of Combined Experience on Your Side
Have you been hurt by another motorist on the road or involved in a car accident in Panama City, FL? If so, it's likely you have a viable claim for compensation.
At Syfrett, Dykes & Furr, our team of dedicated Panama City car accident lawyers has a reputation for diligent, incisive representation for traffic-oriented personal injury claims.
Is Florida A No Fault State?
When it comes to car accident law, Florida is a “no-fault” state. This means that either party must go through their own Personal Injury Protection insurance coverage to recover damages, regardless of who caused the accident. It is possible to file a personal injury claim however, certain requirements must first be met.
How Will I Receive Payment for Car Damage?
If the other side was 100% at fault and if they have the right kind of insurance coverage, then they should pay to fix your car. In Florida, if the other driver is driving legally (with even the minimum insurance) then they should have $10,000 in Property Damage Liability Coverage and this will help pay for your car.
If you have difficulty with the other person’s insurance company and you have collision coverage on your vehicle then call your own insurance company and ask them to fix your car. In many cases, your legal counsel can negotiate with these insurance providers and ensure that they know what your rights are and are serious about recovering the coverage you deserve.
If you or a loved one have been hurt in a car accident, it is possible to fight for the restitution you deserve. Pursue relief with Syfrett, Dykes & Furr. Call (850) 795-4979 or contact us online today. Se Habla Español.
Can I File A Car Accident Claim After Insurance Pays?
Most insurance companies include in their settlements that no additional compensation can be collected after the initial settlement amount, so once you agree to a settlement it’s usually difficult to recover anything else. If you have been offered a settlement, or if you have already signed one, talk to a car accident attorney in Panama City, FL right away. A lawyer can help you explore your legal options, so call Syfrett, Dykes & Furr today to talk about your case.
Car Accident FAQ
After a car accident in Panama City, you probably have many questions about how to handle your claim, injury, and compensation. With over a hundred years of experience, our legal team is well-equipped and prepared to answer any questions you may have regarding your car accident claim. Here are the answers to frequently asked questions our clients have asked in the past.
Do You Have an Auto Accident Claim?
Each case is different, but there are a few questions you can ask yourself to determine whether you should explore your legal options. At our firm, we can help you examine these details in you a free consultation with our team.
These considerations include:
- Was it clear that the other driver was at fault?
- Has your health suffered as a result of the accident?
- Are you experiencing lasting, adverse effects from the accident?
- Have your resulting medical bills reached or surpassed $5,000?
- Did your injuries require surgery?
If your answer to most of these questions is "yes," then it is likely you have a viable claim against the other motorist. Contact our firm today to further explore your options.
Do You Have To Give the Insurance Company a Taped Statement?
If it is your insurance company, then the answer is probably yes, but you have every right to have your attorney present. If it is the other driver’s insurance company, then the answer is no. You are under no obligation to give the other driver’s insurance company a taped statement.
Should You Speak With an Attorney Before You Give a Taped Statement?
It is strongly recommended that you do not give the insurance company a taped statement without the presence of your attorney. You are more than likely required to give a taped statement to your insurance company, but you have every right to have your lawyer present.
You are under no obligation to give the other driver’s insurance company a taped statement. Talking with an auto accident attorney in person, and having that lawyer present when you give a taped statement is the smartest thing you can do.
What About My Lost Wages?
In Florida, your PIP coverage (Personal Injury Protection) will pay 60% of your lost wages that are a result of your automobile accident. As with most insurance, however, this is not automatic.
Your employer has to complete a wage history form showing your wages. Your doctor has to complete a form that certifies you have missed work due to the crash.
What if the Other Driver Was at Fault and Your Medical Bills Exceed Your Own PIP (No-Fault) Benefits?
If the other driver had Bodily Injury Liability Coverage then that can help with your medical bills. Under Florida Law, the other driver’s insurance company has to disclose this information to you.
Also, regardless of the kind of coverage the other driver has, if you have Uninsured Motorist Coverage, commonly referred to as UM/UIM then you are protected.
How Do You Know If You Have a Car Accident Case?
Each case is different, but there are a few questions you can ask yourself:
- Is it clear that the other side was at fault or mostly at fault for the crash?
- Do you notice a significant difference in the way you feel versus how you felt before the crash?
- Do you have pain and discomfort on a regular basis that you did not have before?
- Do you have medical bills and/or lost wages that exceed $5000?
- Have you already had surgery or is there a strong possibility that you will need surgery?
The more times you have answered yes to these questions, the more likely you are to have a case.
What To Do After a Car Accident
When an accident happens, it’s only natural to feel rattled and shaken afterward. However, it’s important to gather your composure following a car accident. The steps you take after your accident can significantly impact the status of any injury or accident claims that you might file in the future.
These actions should be completed after an accident:
- Take Care of Yourself: Check yourself for injuries and conduct an inventory of any passengers in your vehicle. This should be done before you try to exit your vehicle.
- Get Out of Traffic: You should flash your hazard lights to inform other drivers on the road to be cautious. If you have road flares, use them to mark off the accident scene.
- Exchange Information: You’ll need the information from all parties involved in the accident. Get their name, phone number, and home address. You will also want other information like their insurance company, policy number, and driver’s license.
- Call 911: A police report can come in handy when you file your accident claim. Calling 911 after an accident will help to speed up the claim process.
- Contact Your Insurance Company: When you speak with your insurer, remember to be as specific as possible when you describe the events of the accident. This can save you time and trouble in the long run.
- Take Pictures & Document the Scene: Make sure to get clear photos of any damage done to your vehicle. This can be used to support your accident claim later on. Remember, you can never have too many pictures of an accident.
- Contact Your Mechanic: After you have completed the above steps, schedule an appointment with a mechanic to make needed repairs. Get a detailed report of what repairs were performed on your vehicle as well. Although accidents are scary experiences, the most important thing to remember is to stay calm.
- Contact an Attorney: Speaking with a car accident attorney in Panama City is a key step in protecting your rights and ensuring that you receive the full compensation you deserve. An accident attorney knows your rights and the tricks that insurance companies use to reduce your claim. Do not fall victim to these tricks.
How Can an Attorney Help After a Car Accident in Panama City, FL?
A car accident attorney in Panama City, FL plays a critical role in guiding accident victims through the labyrinth of legal complications that often follow a car crash. They possess the necessary skills and experience to ensure the victims get the compensation they rightfully deserve. An attorney aids in ascertaining the negligence of the other party, preparing and submitting necessary paperwork, negotiating with insurance companies, and even representing the victims in court, if necessary.
Here are some of the primary services that car accident attorneys provide:
- Case Evaluation: An attorney will thoroughly analyze the details of the car accident to determine the strength of your claim and the most appropriate legal route to pursue.
- Legal Advice: They provide detailed legal advice, explaining your rights, the legal procedures involved, and the options you have at your disposal.
- Investigative Work: They conduct an exhaustive investigation into the accident, gathering and preserving crucial evidence that supports your case.
- Claim Preparation: An attorney will assist in preparing and filing your claim, ensuring that all the necessary documents are correctly filled out and submitted within the stipulated timeframe.
- Negotiation with Insurance Companies: They negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf. Attorneys understand the tactics used by these companies to minimize payouts and are equipped to counteract them effectively.
- Representation in Court: If your case goes to trial, an attorney will represent you in court, presenting the strongest possible argument to secure the maximum compensation.
- Post-Settlement Assistance: Even after a settlement has been reached or a verdict delivered, an attorney can help in dealing with additional legal matters, such as a dispute with a medical provider over the repayment of expenses related to the accident.
Whether you had a Panama City Beach car accident yesterday or tomorrow, our car accident attorneys are ready to help you get the compensation that you deserve.
Contact A Panama City Car Accident Attorney Today
Our firm is prepared to launch its own investigation into what happened and develop a compelling case for relief on our clients' behalf. If you have been in a car accident in Panama City, FL and would like more advice before you speak with a doctor, adjuster, or another concerned party in your case, feel free to give our car accident attorneys in Panama City a call and arrange a free, initial case evaluation.
Ready to start exploring your car accident claim options? Our car accident attorneys are ready to hear from you. Request a free consultation with our car accident lawyers in Panama City today at (850) 795-4979.