What Should I do After a Car Accident?
When an accident happens, it’s only natural to feel rattled and shaken afterwards. However, it’s important to gather your composure following a car accident. The steps you take after your accident can significantly impact the status of any injury or accident claims that you might file in the future. In this blog, we explain what steps you should take immediately following a car accident.
Car Accident Checklist
These actions should be completed after an accident:
- Take Care of Yourself: Check yourself for injuries and conduct an inventory of any passengers in your vehicle. This should be done before you try to exit your vehicle.
- Get Out of Traffic: You should flash your hazard lights to inform other drivers on the road to be cautious. If you have road flares, use them to mark off the accident scene.
- Exchange Information: You’ll need the information from all parties involved in the accident. Get their name, phone number, and home address. You will also want other information like their insurance company, policy number, and driver’s license.
- Call 911: A police report can come in handy when you file your accident claim. Calling 911 after an accident will help to speed up the claim process.
- Contact Your Insurance Company: When you speak with your insurer, remember to be as specific as possible when you describe the events of the accident. This can save you time and trouble in the long-run.
- Take Pictures & Document the Scene: Make sure to get clear photos of any damage done to your vehicle. This can be used to support your accident claim later on. Remember, you can never have too many pictures of an accident.
- Contact Your Mechanic: After you have completed the above steps, schedule an appointment with a mechanic to make needed repairs. Get a detailed report of what repairs were performed on your vehicle as well. Although accidents are a scary experience, the most important thing to remember is to stay calm.
Do you have more questions about what to do after an accident? Contact our Panama City car accident attorneysto learn what we can do for you today.